Union for the Mediterranean – Experts meeting on the Mediterranean Solar Plan Brussels, 10 February 2010
SUMMARY OF THE MEETING
The meeting was organized by the UfM Co-Presidencies, Egypt and France, in coordination with the Spanish EU Presidency and the European Commission who hosted the meeting. The main objective was to discuss and validate at technical level the MSP Strategy Paper in view of its submission to the Ministerial level for political endorsement.
The summary of the meeting is as follows:
1. Participants welcomed the update provided by the Co-Presidencies on the status and achievements of the MSP and on the ongoing activities (see presentation attached), in particular as regards financing instruments and the works launched by the European Commission on a Mediterranean Interconnection Plan (workshop held on 8-9 February 2010).
2. Several Participants informed about their national initiatives and achievements, including the adoption of national Solar Plans.
3. Participants discussed a revised version of the MSP Strategy Paper and reviewed in particular drafting improvements proposed by Egypt. Participants examined at technical level the revised MSP Strategy Paper for submission at Ministerial level on the occasion of the next Ministerial meeting in Cairo.
4. Several Participants highlighted the necessity to put in place efficient governance, in particular for preparing the Action Plan and Master Plan.
5. The Spanish EU Presidency informed about the high level conference on the MSP to be held in Valencia on 11-12 May 2010, which will be an important milestone towards the Cairo Ministerial meeting on energy and the Barcelona UfM Summit.
6. Egypt as UfM Co-Presidency informed about the Ministerial Meeting on Energy to be held in Cairo on 25-26 May 2010 and highlighted the main elements to be discussed. A concept paper and draft agenda will be circulated to all Participants in due course.
7. The European Commission informed about the technical assistance project “Paving the Way to the Mediterranean Solar Plan” (3 years – 5M€) to be launched during the second semester 2010.
8. Participants tentatively agreed that the kick-off meeting of the technical assistance project “Paving the Way to the Mediterranean Solar Plan” expected to take place in October 2010 could give the occasion to organize back-to-back the next MSP Experts meeting.